July 3, 2015
Since our founding almost 60 years ago, Easton Pool & Spa – in working with customers and potential customers – has placed a primary emphasis on safely enjoying and recreating in and around pools.
An in-ground pool … a pool of any type … can be the physical source and center of a tremendous amount of fun, joy, and happiness. Families and communities grow and become stronger around pools.
And this all happens when people using a pool care and are informed on how to safely enjoy – and responsibly act in accordance with this understanding – a pool.
Yet the fact is … and there should be no blinking at this reality, nor avoiding discussing it … ongoing, and every year, a tremendously high number of injuries and deaths result just from fundamental and basic rules of pool safety not being practiced and observed.
Easton Pool & Spa especially urges and promotes children learning to become accustomed to water, and to learn to swim, as early as possible. If you click here you will be taken to a story about teaching your children to swim, which was published inParents Magazine, and written by Kourtney Edam.
As described in the story, the “American Association of Pediatrics recommends that parents hold off on formal swimming lessons until after their child’s fourth birthday, when he’s developmentally able to learn the skills needed to stay afloat. Until then, consider a parent-child program that focuses on water games, swimming-readiness skills, and safety in and around the pool.”
Yes, teaching the “littlest among us” pool and water safety is of the most vital importance.
Consider this selection of relevant information and statistics from the National Safety Council:
- There are over 7,000 drowning deaths nationally each year. Drowning accidents are the leading cause of death and injury of children under 5 years of age.
- Drowning is the second leading cause of injury he second leading cause of injury-related death among children under the age of 15. (U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- More than 80% of the drownings occur in residential pools or spas.
- Each year 5000 children under the age of 14 are hospitalized for near drowning events. Of these, as many as of 20% suffer severe and permanent disabilities.
- Nationwide, about 250 children under the age of 5 drown each year. Most of those incidents occur in backyard pools and studies have shown that usually an adult was nearby, but not watching the child when they fell in the pool.
Young people, all people, need to know that becoming incapacitated in water can happen fast … very fast … within a few seconds … and death by drowning can occur in as few as 30 seconds.
Children need to hold a healthy respect for … and understanding of … the perils of water.
This respect and understanding need not diminish any of the fun.
Pools are the business of Easton Pool & Spa … and constitute so much of the lives of all those who work for the company.
“Where great backyards begin” is our mantra.
Great backyards. Great times. Great memories.
That’s what home pools should be all about – and that is what they are all about … when safety is practiced first and held paramount.